Preparing For Your Court Date in Chamblee Municipal Court

If you’ve received a traffic citation in Dekalb County, you might have to appear in Chamblee Municipal Court.

Possible offenses that might land you in traffic court include:

Potential penalties for the above violations include hefty fines, license suspension, higher insurance rates, and possible jail time.

Traffic violations could also result in additional points to your Motor Vehicle Report (driving history). While a small number of points aren’t usually a big deal, the state may suspend your license if you accumulate too many within a specific time frame.

Can I Get a Copy of My Driving History?

It’s a good idea to know where you stand with your driving history before you arrive at Chamblee Municipal Court to resolve a traffic citation. Knowing how many points you currently have can provide you with a better understanding of the possible penalties you might face for the new ticket.

You can get a copy of your personal Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) from the Georgia Department of Driver Services in one of four ways:

  1. Download the DDS 2 Go Mobile App and view two years of your driving history for free
  2. Use the DDS website and create an online account
  3. Arrive in-person at any DDS Customer Service Center
  4. Request a certified copy in the mail by submitting a letter or Motor Vehicle Request Form (DDS-18).

You can use any of these options to request a 3-year, 7-year, or lifetime driver history report for a small fee.

Can Pleading Nolo Keep My Insurance From Going Up?

It’s common for drivers to make a hasty decision when it comes time to make a plea in traffic court. Often, this is the result of incorrect information.

Drivers might assume that their insurance company will hike their rates because their new ticket added points to their record. But that’s not always the case. Insurance companies tend to focus on the type of traffic violations on your record rather than the number of points. In other words, they look to see if you have been convicted, not how many points have accumulated.

To avoid extra points – and looking bad to insurance companies – many drivers mistakenly opt to plead no contest (nolo). They assume this looks better on their record than a guilty plea to their insurance provider. However, insurance companies usually look at a guilty plea and a nolo plea in the same way.

So before you make an important decision in court, consider reaching out to a legal professional who can advise you of your options.

Can I Resolve A Traffic Violation Without A Lawyer?

You do not have to hire a lawyer to resolve a traffic violation at Chamblee Municipal Court. However, it might be a good idea to consult with an attorney to learn about your options and possible consequences.

If you’d like assistance or guidance, schedule a free consultation to speak to an attorney today.